Clear, colorless to yellow liquid with a mild gasoline odor.
Solvent, manufacture of chlorinated derivatives, blowing agent for polystyrene.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Extremely flammable; Harmful; Repeated exposure may cause skin dryness or cracking; Vapours may cause drowsiness and dizziness; Dangerous for the Environment
R 12 51/53 65 66 67
S 9 16 29 33 61 62
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
727 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
0.8 % (21 C)
1 (butyl acetate=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 10 ppm
0.620 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.233 cp at 20C
13.72 g/s2 at 20 C
1.84 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a dry area. Refrigerator/flammables.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Take precautionary measures against static discharges. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Use foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. Water may be ineffective.
Very flammable liquid. Highly dangerous when exposed to heat or flame or oxidizers.
Highly volatile liquid. Vapors may explode when mixed with air. Vapors can travel to a source of ignition and flash back.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
600 ppm ACGIH TWA
Mild central nervous system depression or excitation may occur after ingestion or vapor inhalation.
Material is a gas so ingestion is an ulikely route of exposure. Ingestion of large amounts may lead to a gas embolism.
May cause headache, nausea, vomiting dizziness, narcosis, suffocation, lower blood pressure, CNS depression.
May cause skin irritation.
May cause eye irritation.
Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.