Off-white waxy solid.
Foam stabilizer for liquid household detergents.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Tumorigen; Drug; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
49.8 - 51
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
1E-9 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
0.979 g/cm3 (30 C)
Solubility in water
1.4708 (30 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep tightly closed in a cool place in a tightly closed container.
Containers of this material may be hazardous when emptied. Since emptied containers retain product residues (vapor, liquid, and/or solid), all hazard precautions given in the data sheet must be observed.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with an organic vapor/acid gas cartridge (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas and SO2) with a dust/mist filter.
Should a spill occur while you are handling this chemical, FIRST REMOVE ALL SOURCES OF IGNITION, then you should dampen the solid spill material with 60-70% ethanol and transfer the dampened material to a suitable container. Use absorbent paper dampened with 60-70% ethanol to pick up any remaining material. Seal the absorbent paper, and any of your clothes, which may be contaminated, in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Solvent wash all contaminated surfaces with 60-70% ethanol followed by washing with a soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
Flammable and/or toxic gases are generated by combination with with alkali metals, nitrides, and strong reducing agents Reacts with oxoacids and carboxylic acids to form esters plus water Incompatible with oxidizing agents Organic amides/imides react with azo and diazo compounds to generate toxic gases Flammable gases are formed by the reaction of organic amides/imides with strong reducing agents Can react as acids.
Carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide, nitrogen compounds.
Fires involving this compound should be controlled using a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or Halon extinguisher.
Symptoms of exposure to this material through breathing, swallowing, and/or passage of the material through the skin may include: stomach or intestinal upset (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea) irritation (nose, throat, airways).
Swallowing small amounts of this material during normal handling is not likely to cause harmful effects. Swallowing large amounts may be harmful.
It is possible to breathe this material under certain conditions of handling and use (for example, during heating, spraying, or stirring). Breathing small amounts of this material during normal handling is not likely to cause harmful effects. Breathing large amounts may be harmful.
May cause mild skin irritation. Prolonged or repeated contact may dry the skin. Symptoms may include redness, burning, drying and cracking of skin, and skin burns. Passage of this material into the body through the skin is possible, but it is unlikely that this would result in harmful effects during safe handling and use.
Symptoms include stinging, tearing, redness, and swelling of eyes.
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. Be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital if advised by a physician.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. If symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop, call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. If symptoms such as redness or irritation develop, IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital for treatment.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.