- Lead acetate
- Plumbic acetate
- Lead(IV) acetate
- Lead tetracetate
- Plumbic acetate
Faintly pink wet crystals with an odor of vinegar.
Often used as an oxidizing agent in organic syntheses because it is highly selective in cleaving vicinal glycols. It also readily cleaves alpha-hydroxy acids, such as oxalic acid, at room temperature. Another use is for the introduction of acetoxy groups in organic molecules.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 61 20/22 33 50/53 62
S 53 45 60 61
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep containers tightly closed.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Unstable in air
Reducing agents, strong acids, alcohols.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, lead/lead oxides.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Extinguishing media: Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
Not flammable. Can increase intensity of fire when in contact with combustible material.
Can increase the intensity of a fire when in contact with Cool containers with plenty of water.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
IDHL: 100 mg/m3
G-A3, I-2B, CP65
Chronic exposure to lead may result in plumbism which is characterized by lead line in gum, headache, muscle weakness, mental changes,
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Ingestion of lead compounds can cause toxic effects in the blood-forming organs, kidneys and central nervous system, Ingestion of lead compounds can produce symptoms of lead poisoning. Symptoms of lead poisoning or plumbism include weakness, weight loss, lassitude, insomnia, and hypotension. It also includes constipation, anorexia, abdominal discomfort and colic. Ingestion may cause colic, constipation and weakness. Ingestion of large amounts may cause leg cramps and muscle weakness.
May cause respiratory tract irritation.
May cause skin irritation.
Causes severe eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
USCG CHRIS Code