- Basic lead acetate
- Monobasic lead acetate
White dense powder.
In sugar analysis to remove coloring matters, etc., From solns before polarizing, for clarifying and decolorizing other solns of organic substances.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Carcinogenic Category 3; Toxic for reproduction Category 1; Toxic for reproduction Category 3; Harmful; Danger of cumulative effects; Dangerous for the Environment
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Melting point, °C
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Keep from contact with oxidizing materials. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Do not expose to air. Store under an inert atmosphere.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Handle under an inert atmosphere. Store protected from air.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation. Place under an inert atmosphere.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Air sensitive
Strong oxidizing agents, strong acids, acids, active metals, bromates, phenols, potassium, hydrogen peroxides, sodium, sulfides (inorganic, e.g. ferric sulfide, lead sulfide, sodium sulfide), sulfites, phosphates, carbonates, chloral hydrate, alkalis, resorcinol, tannin, air, salicylic acid, vegetable infusions, citrates, chlorides, tartrates.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, lead/lead oxides.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Dust can be an explosion hazard when exposed to heat or flame. Extinguishing media: Use extinguishing media most appropriate for the surrounding fire. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
NIOSH TWA: 0.1 mg/m3 as Pb
G-A3, I-2B, CP65
Possible cancer hazard based on tests with laboratory animals. Chronic inhalation and ingestion may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation and ingestion. Chronic exposure to lead may result in plumbism which is characterized by lead line in gum, headache, muscle weakness, mental changes, Lead salts have been reported to cross the placeta and induce embryo- and feto- mortality. Chronic expsoure to lead may cause adverse effects on human reproduction, embryonic and fetal development and postnatal (e.g., mental) development.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. May cause severe digestive tract irritation with abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Ingestion of lead compounds can cause toxic effects in the blood-forming organs, kidneys and central nervous system, Acute lead poisoning can cause muscle weakness, lead line on the gums, metallic taste, definite loss of appetite, insomnia, dizziness, high lead levels in blood and urine with shock, coma and death in extreme cases.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion.
Causes skin irritation. May be absorbed through the skin in harmful amounts. Causes redness and pain. If absorbed, may cause symptoms similar to those for ingestion.
Causes eye irritation. Causes redness and pain.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
USCG CHRIS Code