A bluish-white, silvery, gray heavy, ductile, soft metal, tarnishes on exposure to air.
Main uses are in the manufacture of storage batteries, ammunition, nuclear and x-ray shielding devices, cable covering, ceramic glazes, noise control materials, bearing, brass and bronze, casting metals, solders, pipes, traps, and bends.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
toxic for reproduction, harmful, dangerous for the environment
R 61 E20/22 33 50/53 62
S 53 45 60 61
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Human Data
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.0005 (600 C)
Approximately zero at normal temperatures (calculated)
11.3437 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.0183 P (38 C)
3E-5/K (20 C)
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Keep from contact with oxidizing materials. Keep containers tightly closed.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Wash clothing before reuse.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves and clothing to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use extinguishing media appropriate to the surrounding fire. Substance is noncombustible. Dust can be an explosion hazard when exposed to heat or flame. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide or chemical foam. Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire.
Moderate in form of dust exposed to heat or flame.
Flash point data for this compound are not available, however, it is probably non-combustible.
OSHA PEL: 1910.1025 TWA 0.050 mg/m3 See Appendix C NIOSH REL: TWA 0.050 mg/m3 See Appendix C *Note: PEL and REL also apply to other Pb cmpds. (as Pb) - See Appendix C. NIOSH IDLH: 100 mg/m3 (as Pb)
G-A3, I-2B, CP65
Chronic exposure may cause reproductive disorders and teratogenic effects. Chronic exposure to lead may result in plumbism which is characterized by lead line in gum, headache, muscle weakness, mental changes,
Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Ingestion of lead compounds can cause toxic effects in the blood-forming organs, kidneys and central nervous system, Symptoms of lead poisoning or plumbism include weakness, weight loss, lassitude, insomnia, and hypotension. It also includes constipation, anorexia, abdominal discomfort and colic.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. Inhalation of fumes may cause metal fume fever, which is characterized by flu-like symptoms with metallic taste, fever, chills, cough, weakness, chest pain, muscle pain and increased white blood cell count. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion.
Causes skin irritation. May be absorbed through the skin.
Causes eye irritation.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Discard contaminated clothing in a manner which limits further exposure.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
USCG CHRIS Code
7804 20 00