- Calcium polysulfide
- Calcium sulfide
- Eau grison
- Lime sulphur
Deep red to orange liquid with a pungent odor of rotten egs.
A direct fungicide on powdery mildews, insecticide.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Contact with acids liberates toxic gas; Irritant; Dangerous for the Environment
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Human Data
Swiss Giftliste 1
Ca . S
1.273 g/cm3 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry location. Protect from freezing.
Keep away from childres, animals, food/feed, seed and fertilizer. Immediately clean up any spills which occure during handling.
Use waterproof gloves and face shield or goggles when handling concentrate.
Wear MSHA/NIOSH approved respirator or mask.
Absorb liquids by covering with an inert absorbent. Vacuum, scoop or sweep up and place in a container for disposal. Wash area with detergent solution and wrinse with water.
Stable at normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Hydrogen sulfide, oxides of carbon and sulfur.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
Patients may acutely present with low heart rate, rapid heart rate, hyperventilation, respiratory depression even to the point of apnea, and/or hypo-/elevated blood pressure. Headache, vertigo, excitement or depression, loss of memory, and prostration may be observed. Tremors, seizures, coma, and death may result. Peripheral neuritis may follow after recovery. Spontaneous abortions have occurred after exposure to life-threatening concentrations.
Exposure may result in a hydrogen sulfide odor on the breath or in gastric aspirate, difficulty in swallowing, and redness of the tongue and pharynx. Lime sulfur is irritating on contact to the mucous membranes. Vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea may occur.
Inhalation may result in shortness of breath, cough, tightness and burning of the chest, pulmonary edema, and even respiratory distress and failure. Pneumonia may occur after initial recovery.
Lime sulfur is irritating to the skin; burns have been reported following ingestion. Molten sulfur burns cause severe dermal injury.
Injection of the the mucous membrane that lines the inner surface of the eyelid and the exposed surface of the eyeballe, seeing colored halos, ocular pain, corneal bullae, blurred vision and blepharospasm may be noted following exposure to 150 to 300 ppm.
Emesis: ipecac-induced vomiting is not recommended because of the potential for cns depression and seizures. Consider after ingestion of a potentially life-threatening amount of poison if it can be performed soon after ingestion (generally within 1 hour). Activated charcoal: administer charcoal as a slurry (240 ml water/30 g charcoal). Usual dose: 25 to 100 g in adults/adolescents. Patients should be monitored and treated symptomatically. Effects are variable depending on the route and amount of exposure. Hydrogen sulfide has been produced following ingestions of lime sulfur. Skin and eye irritation are possible following minor exposures. Moderate to severe effects can occur after large ingestions and result in gastrointestinal irritation and mucosal burns, as well as, cardiac, respiratory, and central nervous system effects.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.