- Benzene hexachloride
White crystalline solid, essentially odor-free.
Used in baits & seed treatments for rodent control.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Toxic; Irritant; Dangerous for the Environment
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Drug; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Human Data
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.0003 (25 C)
1.777 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.5299 (123 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from metals. Poison room locked.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Use with adequate ventilation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Water runoff can cause environmental damage. Dike and collect water used to fight fire. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode when heated. Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes. Extinguishing media: Do NOT get water inside containers. Do NOT use straight streams of water. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. For large fires, use water spray, fog or regular foam. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
The dry powder will not burn.
When heated to decomposition, this compound emits toxic fumes of chlorine, hydrochloric acid, and phosgene.
If heated to decomposition in air, it emits highly toxic fumes of phosgene and hydrogen chloride.
TLV: ppm; 0.5 mg/m3 (as TWA) (skin) (ACGIH 1994-1995). MAK: ppm; 0.5 mg/m3; skin (1992). OSHA PEL: TWA 0.5 mg/m3 skin NIOSH REL: TWA 0.5 mg/m3 skin NIOSH IDLH: 50 mg/m3
G-A3, I-2B, N-2, CP65
May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause cancer according to animal studies. May cause reproductive and fetal effects. Effects may be delayed.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause liver and kidney damage. Human fatalities have been reported from acute poisoning. Large doses may cause convulsions. May cause central nervous system stimulation.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause liver and kidney damage. Exposure may result in irritation, excitement, and convulsions. Can produce delayed pulmonary edema. May cause central, peripheral, and autonomic nervous system effects.
Causes skin irritation. May be fatal if absorbed through the skin.
Causes eye irritation. May cause chemical conjunctivitis.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
I; II; III
USCG CHRIS Code