Lithium chromate dihydrate
- Chromic acid (H2CrO4), dilithium salt, dihydrate
Li2CrO4 : H2O
yellow orthorhombic crystals, hygroscopic
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
8 36/37/38 45 46
17 36/37/39 45 53
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
2.15 g/cm3 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep tightly closed. Keep away from combustible materials, heat, sparks, and open flame. Store in a cool dry place.
Compatible chemical-resistant gloves. Chemical safety goggles. Protective clothing.
Sweep up, place in a bag and hold for waste disposal. Avoid raising dust. Ventilate area and wash spill site after material pickup is complete.
Reducing agents, organic materials, acid.
Use extinguishing media appropriate to surrounding fire conditions. For fires involving this material, do not enter any enclosed or confined fire space without proper protective equipment. This may include self-contained breathing apparatus to protect against the hazardous effects of the normal products of combustion or oxygen deficiency.
Contact with other material may cause fire. Emits toxic fumes under fire conditions.
May be fatal if inhaled, swallowed, or absorbed through skin. May cause allergic respiratory and skin reactions. Target organs: kidneys, lungs, central nervous system, blood. Large doses of lithium ion have caused dizziness and prostration, and can cause kidney damage if sodium intake is limited. Dehydration, weight loss, dermatological effects, and thyroid disturbances have been reported. Central nervous system effects that include slurred speech, blurred vision, sensory loss, ataxia, and convulsions may occur. Diarrhea, vomiting, and neuromuscular effects such as tremor, clonus, and hyperactive reflexes may occur as a result of repeated exposure to lithium ion. Inhalation of dichromate dusts can cause ulceration and perforation of the nasal septum. Contact with breaks in the skin can cause ulceration (chrome sores). Other symptoms of exposure include erosion and discoloration of the teeth, nephritis, epigastric pain (inflammation and ulceration of the gastrointestinal tract).
Exposure can cause anemia, stomach pains, vomiting, diarrhea.
Material is irritating to mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract.
If swallowed, wash out mouth with water provided person is conscious. Call a physician.
If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If not breathing give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
In case of contact, immediately wash skin with soap and copious amounts of water. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Call a physician.
In case of contact with eyes, flush with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes. Assure adequate flushing by separating the eyelids with fingers. Call a physician.