- Lithium monofluoride
Odorless, white fluffy powder.
As flux for soldering & welding aluminum, in manufacture of vitreous enamels & glazes, prisms are used in infrared spectrophotometers.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 23/25 36/37/38
S 26 36/37/39 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.07 (900 C)
2.64 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.3 g/L (25 C)
1.39937 (20 C)
0.000184/K (25 C)
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a tightly closed container.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong acids, and strong oxidizing agents.
Hydrogen fluoride, hydrogen bromide, oxides of lithium.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic fumes. To extinguish fire, use water, dry chemical, chemical foam, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use extinguishing media most appropriate for the surrounding fire.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion.
IDHL: NIOSH considers chromic acid and chromates, as Cr, to be potential occupational carcinogens.
Chronic ingestion may cause dizziness, ringing in the ears, visual disturbances, tremors, and mental confusion. Prolonged absorption may affect electrolyte balance and impair kidney function. Dehydration, weight loss, skin effects, and thyroid disturbances have been reported.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause muscle tremor and impaired motor function. May cause circulatory system failure. May cause cardiac disturbances. May cause tremors and convulsions. Inorganic fluorides can be harmful. Acute exposure to fluorine compounds can lead to digestive tract burns, and abdominal pain. Exposure to fluoride compounds can result in systemic toxic effects on the heart, liver, and kidneys. It may also deplete calcium levels in the body leading to hypocalcemia and death. Contains fluoride. Fluoride can reduce calcium levels leading to fatal hypocalcemia.
May cause severe irritation of the upper respiratory tract with pain, burns, and inflammation.
May cause severe irritation and possible burns. May cause severe skin irritation with possible burns, especially if skin is wet or moist. Chronic ingestion may cause dizziness, ringing in the ears, visual disturbances, tremors, and mental confusion. Prolonged absorption may affect electrolyte balance and impair kidney function. Dehydration, weight loss, skin effects, and thyroid disturbances have been reported.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
I; II; III
2826 19 00