- Lithium hydrate
- Lithium hydroxide, solution (UN 2679)
White powder or colorless crystals, odorless, hygroscopic.
Substance is used in photographic developers.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 20/22 35
S 26 36/37/39 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Decomposition point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
2 (520 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Corrosives area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Discard contaminated shoes.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions. May decompose on exposure to moist air or water.
Strong acids and strong oxidizing agents.
Irritating and toxic fumes and gases, oxides of lithium.
Extinguish using agent most appropriate for surrounding fire.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Chronic inhalation and ingestion may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation and ingestion. Chronic ingestion may cause dizziness, ringing in the ears, visual disturbances, tremors, and mental confusion. Prolonged absorption may affect electrolyte balance and impair kidney function. Dehydration, weight loss, skin effects, and thyroid disturbances have been reported.
May cause kidney damage. May cause circulatory system failure. May cause cardiac disturbances. May cause corrosion and permanent tissue destruction of the esophagus and digestive tract. May cause tremors and convulsions.
Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. Causes severe irritation of upper respiratory tract with coughing, burns, breathing difficulty, and possible coma. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion.
Contact with liquid is corrosive and causes severe burns and ulceration. Chronic ingestion may cause dizziness, ringing in the ears, visual disturbances, tremors, and mental confusion. Prolonged absorption may affect electrolyte balance and impair kidney function. Dehydration, weight loss, skin effects, and thyroid disturbances have been reported.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns. May cause eye injury.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.