- Methanol, lithium salt
- Lithium methoxide
- Lithium methylate
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Highly flammable; Corrosive; Reacts violently with water
Boiling point, °C
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a tightly closed container. Keep under a nitrogen blanket. Flammables-area.
Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Use and store under nitrogen. Do not allow contact with water. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool.
Stable under normal shipping and handling conditions.
Water, oxidizing agents, reducing agents, acids, acid chlorides, alkali metals, halogens, acid anhydrides.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, oxides of lithium.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Extinguishing media: Use foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. DO NOT USE WATER!
Flammable/combustible material. May be ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Poison by ingestion. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. Depletes calcium levels in the body which if left untreated can lead to hypocalcemia and
May cause irritation of the respiratory tract with burning pain in the nose and throat, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and pulmonary edema. Inhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm, inflammation, edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. Toxic if inhaled. Depletes calcium levels in the body which if left untreated can lead to hypocalcemia and death.
Causes skin burns. Initial contact may be painless but will penetrate tissue causing severe necrosis and bone destruction.
Causes eye burns.
Get medical aid immediately. Wash mouth out with water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
I; II; III