- Iodic acid, magnesium salt
- Magnesium diiodate
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
Solubility in water
77 g/L (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Do not store near combustible materials. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with clothing and other combustible materials. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear a chemical apron. Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation. Do not use combustible materials such as paper towels to clean up spill.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Irritating and toxic fumes and gases, oxides of magnesium, oxides of iodine.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Strong oxidizer. Contact with combustible materials may cause a fire. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water with caution and in flooding amounts. Extinguishing media: Contact professional fire-fighters immediately. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
Effects may be delayed.
The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. May cause burns to the gastrointestinal tract. May cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, possibly with blood.
The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. May cause severe irritation of the respiratory tract with possible burns. May cause acute pulmonary edema, asphyxia, chemical pneumonitis, and upper airway obstruction caused by edema.
May cause severe irritation and possible burns.
May cause conjunctivitis. May cause eye irritation and possible burns. May cause permanent corneal opacification.
Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.