- Nitric acid, magnesium salt
A white crystalline solid.
In pyrotechnics, in the concentration of nitric acid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
1.042 - 1.3683 g/cm3 (25 - 70 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear protective gloves and clothing and safety goggles.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Keep sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition away. Keep material out of water sources and sewers.
Stable under ordinary conditions of use and storage.
May react explosively.
Flood with water. Cool all affected containers with flooding quantities of water. Apply water from as far a distance as possible.
Not combustible, but substance is a strong oxidizer and its heatof reaction with reducing agents or combustibles may causeignition. Contact with other materials may cause an extremely violent combustion.
May explode from heat or contamination. May react explosively with hydrocarbons (fuels). May ignite combustibles.
Toxic fumes of nitrogen oxides are produced when heated to decomposition.
Ingestion may cause severe injury, burns, or death.
May cause irritation and burns to the respiratory tract; symptoms may include coughing and shortness of breath.
Causes irritation and burns to the skin.
Causes irritation. May be extremely irritating with possible burns to eye tissue and permanent eye damage may result.
Induce vomiting immediately as directed by medical personnel. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Call a physician immediately.
Remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash with soap and water.
Flush with water for at least 15 min., lifting lids occasionally. Contact lenses should not be worn when working with this chemical.