Has local anesthetic and counterirritant qualities
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
30 - 32
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.03 (25 C)
0.9 g/cm3 (15 C)
Solubility in water
1.4615 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Combustion generates toxic fumes. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide or chemical foam.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. May cause allergic reactions
May cause respiratory tract irritation. May cause methemoglobinemia, cyanosis, convulsions, tachycardia, dyspnea, and death. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
May cause skin irritation. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material.
May cause severe eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
20. Alcohols. Glycols