- Mercury(II) chloride
- Mercury dichloride
- Mercury bichloride
An odorless white crystalline solid. Slightly volatile at ordinary temperatures.
Used in photography, disinfectants, wood preservatives, fungicides.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Very toxic; Toxic; Corrosive; Dangerous for the Environment
R 28 34 48/24/25 50/53
S 36/37/39 45 60 61
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Drug; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Human Data; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.1 (100 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Store protected from light.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Do not ingest or inhale. Store protected from light.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Formates, sulfites, hypophosphites, phosphates, albumin, gelatin, alkalies, alkaloid salts, ammonia, lime water, antimony, arsenic, bromides, borax, carbonates, reduced iron, copper, iron, lead, silver salts, infusions of cinchona, columbo, oak bark or senna, tannic acid, vegetable astringents, potassium, sodium, metallic halides, strong oxidizing agents, strong bases.
Mercury/mercury oxides, chloride fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Water runoff can cause environmental damage. Dike and collect water used to fight fire. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Substance is noncombustible. This material in sufficient quantity and reduced particle size is capable of creating a dust explosion. Extinguishing media: Use extinguishing media most appropriate for the surrounding fire. In case of fire use water fog, dry chemical, carbon dioxide or alcohol type foam.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Material may explode on heating, with friction, or contact with alkali metals, sulfides, acetylene, ammonia, and oxalic acid. Upon decomposition highly toxic chloride and mercury fumes are emitted. Avoid formates, sulfites, hypophosphites, phosphates, sulfides, albumin, gelatin, alkalies, alkaloid salts, ammonia, lime water, antimony, arsenic, bromides, borax, carbonates, reduced iron, copper, iron, lead, silver salts, infusions of cinchona, columbo, oak bark or senna, and tannic acid. Mercuric chloride may explode with friction or application of heat. Mixtures of mercuric chloride and sodium or potassium are shock sensitive and will explode on impact. Avoid contact with acids or acid fumes.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
TLV (as Hg): ppm; 0.1 mg/m3 (skin) (ACGIH 1991-1992).
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. Chronic inhalation and ingestion may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation and ingestion. May cause reproductive and fetal effects. Chronic ingestion may cause accumulation of mercury in body tissues. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects. May be rapidly transferred across the placenta and cause adverse fetal effects.
May be fatal if swallowed. Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause muscle tremor and impaired motor function. May cause cardiac disturbances.
May cause central nervous system effects including vertigo, anxiety, depression, muscle incoordination, and emotional instability. May cause gastrointestinal effects including gum and mouth inflammation, jaw necrosis, and loosening of the teeth. May cause burns to the respiratory tract. Acute exposure to high concentrations of mercury vapors may cause severe respiratory tract irritation.
May be fatal if absorbed through the skin. Causes severe skin irritation and possible burns.
Exposure to mercury or mercury compounds can cause discoloration on the front surface of the lens, which does not interfere with vision. Causes severe eye irritation and possible burns. Contact with mercury or mercury compounds can cause ulceration of the conjunctiva and cornea.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. SPEED IS ESSENTIAL. A DOCTOR MUST BE NOTIFIED AT ONCE. Wash mouth out with water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Discard contaminated clothing in a manner which limits further exposure. Destroy contaminated shoes. SPEEDY ACTION IS CRITICAL, GET MEDICAL AID IMMEDIATELY.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
USCG CHRIS Code
2827 39 80
Std. Transport #