Mercuric potassium cyanide
- Potassium tetracyanomercurate(II)
- Dipotassium tetrakis(cyano-C)mercurate(2-)
- Dipotassium tetracyanomercurate
A colorless crystalline solid.
In manufacture of mirrors to prevent silver coating from yellowing, as reagent in testing for free acids.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Keep sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition away. Keep material out of water sources and sewers. Do not use water on material itself.
Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of nitrogen oxide(x), mercury, potassium oxide and cyanide.
Extinguish fire using agent suitable for type of surrounding fire. (Material itself does not burn or burns with difficulty.) Use alcohol foam, dry chemical or carbon dioxide. Do not use water on material itself. If large quantities of combustibles are involved, use water in flooding quantities as spray and fog. Use water spray to knock-down vapors.
Moderate fire hazard, by chem reaction with heat, moisture, acid; emit hydrocyanic acid.
Vapors may accumulate in confined areas (basement, tanks, hopper/tank cars, etc.). Substance will react with water (some violently), releasing corrosive and/or toxic gases. Reaction with water may generate much heat which will increase the concentration of fumes in the air. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated or if contaminated with water.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
NIOSH REL: C 0.1 mg/m3 [skin] OSHA PEL: C 0.1 mg/m3 10 mg/m3 (as Hg)
Initially, headache, vertigo, and agitation occur, followed by combative behavior, coma, seizures, and death. Acute exposure - neurologic: tremor, confusion, loss of coordination, hyperreflexia, and lethargy may follow acute mercuric chloride ingestion. Chronic exposure can cause fatigue, headache, weakness, decreased concentration, anxiety, emotional lability, irritability and delirium. Mercuric chloride has been associated with spontaneous abortions in humans. It has been embryotoxic, fetotoxic, and teratogenic, and has affected the testes and sperm in rodents.
Tachypnea, hyperpnea, and dyspnea followed rapidly by respiratory depression are common. Pulmonary edema may occur.
Papules, rashes, pruritus, and ulcerations may occur.
Burning sensation of mouth and throat, and equally red retinal arteries and veins are common.
Emergency measures - in symptomatic patients advance life support including use of the cyanide antidote kit should be initiated as gastrointestinal decontamination is being prepared. Emesis: ipecac-induced vomiting is not recommended because of the potential for cns depression and seizures. Activated charcoal: administer charcoal as a slurry (240 ml water/30 g charcoal). Usual dose: 25 to 100 g in adults/adolescents. Consider after ingestion of a potentially life-threatening amount of poison if it can be performed soon after ingestion (generally within 1 hour). Oxygen - immediately begin therapy with 100% oxygen.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists. While cyanide can be absorbed through intact skin, most reported cases have involved whole-body immersion in cyanide solutions or large-area burns with molten cyanide solutions.
Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.
Std. Transport #