- Mercury bisulfate
- Mercury(II) sulfate
Odorless white granules or crystalline powder.
Electrolyte for primary batteries, with sodium chloride for extracting gold and silver from roasted pyrites, as reagent for wine coloring, barbital, and cysteine.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
very toxic, dangerous for the environment
R 26/27/28 33 50/53
S 13 28 45 60 61
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Vapor density (air=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold Odorless.
5.995 g/cm3 (21 C)
Solubility in water
Heat of fusion
Hazards and Protection.
Do not store in direct sunlight. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Poison room locked.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Do not ingest or inhale. Store protected from light.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Substance decomposes when exposed to water, violently reacts with hydrogen chloride, and is corrosive to many metals (including aluminum, copper, iron, magnesium, lead, and zinc).
Oxides of sulfur, mercury/mercury oxides.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Combustion generates toxic fumes. Extinguishing media: Use foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
NIOSH REL: C 0.1 mg/m3 [skin] OSHA PEL: C 0.1 mg/m3 10 mg/m3 (as Hg)
2 (Very strong toxins)
Chronic inhalation and ingestion may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation and ingestion. May cause anemia and other blood cell abnormalities. Repeated exposure may cause central nervous system damage.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause kidney damage. May cause severe digestive tract irritation with abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause corrosion and permanent tissue destruction of the esophagus and digestive tract. May cause adverse nervous system effects and possible
May cause severe irritation of the respiratory tract with sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath and delayed lung edema. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion.
May be absorbed through the skin. May cause severe irritation and possible burns.
Contact may cause severe eye irritation and possible eye damage.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
USCG CHRIS Code
2833 29 70
Std. Transport #