- Mercury(I) nitrate hydrate
- Mercury protonitrate
Colorless crystals with nitric acid odor
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with clothing and other combustible materials. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Store protected from light. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong reducing agents, cyanides, thiocyanates, isothiocyanates, hypophosphites.
Nitrogen oxides, mercury/mercury oxides.
Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent contact with skinand eyes. Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) toprevent contact with thermal decomposition products. For small fires, use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide or chemical foam. In case of fire, use water, dry chemical, chemical foam, or alcohol-resistant foam.
Oxidizer. Greatly increases the burning rate of combustible materials.
May explode from heat or contamination.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
NIOSH REL: C 0.1 mg/m3 [skin] OSHA PEL: C 0.1 mg/m3 10 mg/m3 (as Hg)
Harmful if swallowed. Poison by ingestion. Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause kidney damage. May cause adverse nervous system effects and possible damage. Absorption into the body may cause methemoglobinia which may lead to cyanosis. The effects may be
Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause methemoglobinemia, cyanosis, convulsions, tachycardia, dyspnea, and death. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion.
May be absorbed through the skin in harmful amounts. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. May cause severe skin irritation with possible burns, especially if skin is wet or moist.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.