- Mercury(i) oxide
Black or brownish-black powder. Not a true compound but rather an intimate mixture of metallic mercury and mercuric oxide.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
13.6 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Bureau of mines approved airline respirator; impervious suit; appropriate eye protection.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Keep material out of water sources and sewers.
Reacts with hydrochloric acid to give insoluble mercurous chloride (calomel) Mixtures with phosphorus or sulfur explode by impact and friction respectively,.
Extinguish fire using agent suitable for type of surrounding fire. (Material itself does not burn or burns with difficulty.) Use water in flooding quantities as fog. Use foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide.
Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may pollute waterways.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
IDHL: 10 mg/m3 (as Hg)
tremor, confusion, loss of coordination, hyperreflexia, and lethargy may follow acute mercuric chloride ingestion. Chronic exposure can cause fatigue, headache, weakness, decreased concentration, anxiety, emotional lability, irritability and delirium. Mercuric chloride has been associated with spontaneous abortions in humans. It has been embryotoxic, fetotoxic, and teratogenic, and has affected the testes and sperm in rodents.
Dyspnea, rales, and severe tracheal, laryngeal and pulmonary edema have occurred following ingestion and aspiration of inorganic mercury salts. Clinical findings similar to the adult respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) have also been reported.
Mercury pigmentation, dermatitis and symptoms of acrodynia have resulted from use of creams containing inorganic mercury salts. Burns or irritation can result from some inorganic mercury compounds.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Do not use mouth-to-mouth method if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.
Std. Transport #