- Mercuric acetate
- Mercury di(acetate)
White crystalline solid with an odor of vinegar.
Chiefly for mercuration of organic compounds.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 26/27/28 33 50/53
S 13 28 36 45 60 61
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Vapor density (air=1)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Do not store in direct sunlight. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Poison room locked.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Do not ingest or inhale. Store protected from light. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents - strong acids.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, mercury/mercury oxides.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Combustion generates toxic fumes. Substance is noncombustible. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or chemical foam.
When heated to decomposition, it emits toxic fumes of mercury. Avoid light.
Smoke may contain toxic mercury or mercury oxide fumes
TLV (as Hg): ppm; 0.01 mg/m3 (skin) (ACGIH 1991-1992). MAK: 0.05 ppm; 0.05 mg/m3 (1991).
Chronic inhalation and ingestion may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation and ingestion. Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause gastrointestinal irritation and kidney damage. Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause adverse reproductive effects. May cause fetal effects. Chronic exposure to mercury may cause permanent central nervous system damage, fatigue, weight loss, tremors, personality changes.
May be fatal if swallowed. May cause irritation of the digestive tract. Poison by ingestion. May cause kidney damage. May cause severe digestive tract irritation with abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause corrosion and permanent tissue destruction of the esophagus and digestive tract. Based on data relating to inorganic mercury compounds it may cause adverse nervous system effects and possible damage. Acute mercury poisoning can produce sudden and profound circulatory collapse with tachycardia, hypotension, and peripheral vasoconstriction, vomiting, and bloody diarrhea. It can be a corrosive and a nephrotoxic. Salivation, metallic taste, abdominal pain, seizures, proteinuria, nephrotic syndrome (oliguria and anuria) may occur. Ingestion can produce central nervous effects as well as peripheral nervous system effects. Ingestion may produce effects on the brain including tremors, irritability and sensitivity, xenophobia, insomnia, hallucinations, and ma
Harmful if inhaled. Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. May cause irritation of the respiratory tract with burning pain in the nose and throat, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and pulmonary edema. May cause severe irritation of the respiratory tract with sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath and delayed lung edema. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion.
Harmful if absorbed through the skin. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. May be absorbed through the skin. May cause skin discoloration. Causes severe skin irritation and possible burns.
Contact may cause severe eye irritation and possible eye damage.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #