- Mercuric iodide
- Red mecuric iodide
- Mercury(II) iodide
- Mercury diiodide
A scarlet-red odorless tasteless powder. At elevated temperatures turns yellow but turns back to red upon cooling.
Substance is used in anal.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
very toxic, dangerous for the environment
R 26/27/28 33 50/53
S 13 28.1 45 60 61
Drug; Reproductive Effector; Human Data
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
100 (256 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold Odorless
6.36 g/cm3 (25 C)
Solubility in water
0.02137 cp (227 C)
Heat of fusion
Hazards and Protection.
Do not store in direct sunlight. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Poison room locked.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Do not ingest or inhale. Store protected from light.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, chlorine trifluoride, potassium, sodium, light.
Hydrogen iodide, mercury/mercury oxides.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Combustion generates toxic fumes. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide or chemical foam.
Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may pollute waterways.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
NIOSH REL: C 0.1 mg/m3 [skin] OSHA PEL: C 0.1 mg/m3 10 mg/m3 (as Hg)
Chronic inhalation and ingestion may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation and ingestion. Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause adverse reproductive effects. May cause fetal effects.
May be fatal if swallowed. Poison by ingestion. May cause kidney damage. May cause severe digestive tract irritation with abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause corrosion and permanent tissue destruction of the esophagus and digestive tract. Can cause nervous system damage.
May cause severe irritation of the respiratory tract with sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath and delayed lung edema. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion.
May cause severe skin irritation. May be absorbed through the skin.
Contact may cause severe eye irritation and possible eye damage.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
USCG CHRIS Code
2827 60 00