- Mercuric thiocyanate
- Mercury(II) thiocyanate
- Mercury dithiocyanate
An odorless white crystalline powder.
In manufacture of pharaoh's serpents (fireworks), intensifier in photography.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Vapor density (air=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold Odorless
4 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Do not store in direct sunlight. Store in a tightly closed container. Poison room locked.
Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Do not ingest or inhale. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, oxides of sulfur, carbon dioxide, mercury/mercury oxides.
Extinguish fire using agent suitable for type of surrounding fire. (Material itself does not burn or burns with difficulty.) Use water in flooding quantities as fog. Use alcohol foam, dry chemical or carbon dioxide.
Nonflammable, but expands to many times in volume when heated.
When heated, decomposes into mercury, nitrogen, etc., at about 165C.
NIOSH REL: C 0.1 mg/m3 [skin] OSHA PEL: C 0.1 mg/m3 10 mg/m3 (as Hg)
May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause reproductive and fetal effects. Repeated exposure may cause central nervous system damage. May cause tremors, irritability, loss of memory and intellect. May also cause Pink disease characterized by skin, cardiovascular, and neurobehavioral abnormalities.
May be fatal if swallowed. May cause kidney damage. May cause liver damage. May cause perforation of the digestive tract. May cause vascular collapse and damage. Causes severe pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and shock. May cause central nervous system effects.
May cause irritation of the respiratory tract with burning pain in the nose and throat, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and pulmonary edema. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion.
May cause severe skin irritation. Harmful if absorbed through the skin. Causes redness and pain.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns. Causes redness and pain.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. SPEED IS ESSENTIAL. A DOCTOR MUST BE NOTIFIED AT ONCE.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #