- Mercurous chloride
- Dimercury dichloride
Odorless white solid.
Dark green Bengal lights.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Harmful; Irritant; Dangerous for the Environment
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.0001 (80.6 C)
7.1 g/cm3 (25 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Do not store in direct sunlight. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Do not ingest or inhale. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Wash area with soap and water. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Isolate area and deny entry. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. May decompose when exposed to light.
Substance may react with acacia, ammonia, alkali chlorides, bromides, carbonates, cocaine, copper salts, cyanides, hydroxides, iodine, iodoform, lead salts, silver salts, soap, sulfates, and sulfites.
Hydrogen chloride, mercury/mercury oxides.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use extinguishing media appropriate to the surrounding fire. Substance is noncombustible. Extinguishing media: Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire.
Fumes from fire may contain toxic vapors of substance.
TLV (as Hg): ppm; 0.1 mg/m3 (skin) (ACGIH 1991-1992).
May cause kidney injury. May cause reproductive and fetal effects. Chronic exposure to mercury may cause permanent central nervous system damage, fatigue, weight loss, tremors, personality changes. May cause tremors, irritability, loss of memory and intellect. May also cause Pink disease characterized by skin, cardiovascular, and neurobehavioral abnormalities. Chronic exposure to mercury vapors may produce weakness, fatigue, anorexia, loss of weight and gastrointestinal disturbances which is collectively referred to as asthenic-vegetative syndrome or micromercurialism. Chronic exposure to mercury compounds may produce immunologic glomerular disease.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause kidney damage. May cause severe digestive tract irritation with abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause central nervous system depression. Inorganic mercury compounds may cause central and peripheral nervous system effects. May cause weakness, fatigue, vascular collapse, and esophagus
May cause respiratory tract irritation. Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. May cause gastrointestinal effects including gum and mouth inflammation, jaw necrosis, and loosening of the teeth. May cause kidney damage. Acute exposure to high concentrations of mercury vapors may cause severe respiratory tract irritation.
May cause skin irritation. May be absorbed through the skin.
May cause eye irritation. Contact may cause ulceration of the conjunctiva and cornea.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
I; II; III
USCG CHRIS Code