- Mercurous iodide
Bright yellow powder. 7.7 g / cm3.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
13.6 g/cm3 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Keep material out of water sources and sewers.
Incompatible with acetylene, ammonia, chlorine dioxide, azides, calcium (amalgam formation), sodium carbide, lithium, rubidium, copper.
Extinguish fire using agent suitable for type of surrounding fire. (Material itself does not burn or burns with difficulty.) Use water in flooding quantities as fog. Use foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Acute ingestion of iodide salts does not result in corrosive actions on the gastrointestinal tract. Vomiting and abdominal pain may be noted but are not as common as with acute iodine ingestion.
Highly toxic, may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through skin. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed.
Chronic oral administration can produce various skin reactions, including erythema nodosum, polymorphic eruptions, urticaria, vasculitis, and petechia.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Do not use mouth-to-mouth method if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.
I; II; III
Std. Transport #