Mercury(I) nitrate dihydrate
- Mercurous nitrate dihydrate
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Poison room locked. Store protected from light. Store in a cool, dry area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Do not ingest or inhale. Store protected from light. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Discard contaminated shoes.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves and clothing to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Light sensitive.
Reducing agents, combustible materials, direct light, heat, wood, acetylene, ammonia, chlorine dioxide, azides, calcium, sodium carbide, lithium, rubidium, copper, metals.
Nitrogen oxides, nitrogen, mercury/mercury oxides.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. May decompose explosively when heated or involved in a fire. To extinguish fire, use water, dry chemical, chemical foam, or alcohol-resistant foam.
These substances will accelerate burning when involved in a fire.
May explode from heat or contamination.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Chronic ingestion may cause accumulation of mercury in body tissues. There is a danger of cumulative effects. May cause kidney damage. Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause inflammation of the mouth and gums, excessive salivation, and loosening of the teeth.
May be fatal if swallowed. May cause severe digestive tract irritation with abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Inorganic mercury compounds may cause central and peripheral nervous system effects.
May be fatal if inhaled. Exposure produces central nervous system depression. May produce general weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, chest pains, coughing, shortness of breath, and cardiac insufficiency. Causes irritation of the mucous membrane and upper respiratory tract.
Causes skin irritation. May be fatal if absorbed through the skin. May cause dermatitis.
May cause chemical conjunctivitis. Causes eye irritation and possible injury.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Do not use mouth-to-mouth respiration if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Discard contaminated clothing in a manner which limits further exposure.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.