- Mercuric fulminate
Silver-white heavy odorless metallic liquid.
In most industrial countries its use has been abandoned.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Explosive; Toxic; Danger of cumulative effects; Dangerous for the Environment
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Hazards and Protection.
If stored in air with high humidity, mercury fulminate deteriorates, becomes less sensitive, and can cause misfires. It is stored in magazines away from high explosives and blasting agents.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Do not breathe dusts and fumes from burning material. Wear self-contained breathing apparatus when fighting fires involving mercury fulminate. Wear boots, protective gloves, and goggles. Do not handle broken packages of mercury fulminate without protective equipment. If it contacts the body, wash away with copious amounts of water or soap and water. see also field han.
Use NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator appropriate for exposure of concern.
Keep sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition away. Keep spilled material wet. Wet spilled material before picking it up. Do not attempt to sweep up dry material.
Explosive above 85 C. Also shock sensitive.
Incompatible with the following: Acetylene, ammonia, chlorine dioxide, azides, calcium (amalgam formation), sodium carbide, lithium, rubidium, copper.
Dangerously explosive. Do not fight fires in a cargo of explosives. Evacuate area and let burn.
Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea are possible if ingested.
Cough, tachypnea, and wheezing are common after inhalation.
Redness, swelling and pain may occur.
Emesis is not indicated due to the irritant nature of these agents. Charcoal - not recommended; it may promote vomiting and make endoscopic evaluation difficult. Immediately dilute with 4 to 8 ounces (120 to 240 ml) of milk or water (not to exceed 4 ounces/120 ml in a child). Neutralization - neutralization is not indicated. Although these agents are irritants, and therefore should not produce tissue damage, it is almost impossible to assure that a particular substance under a particular set of circumstances would not cause damage. Therefore, each patient should be examined with the idea that mucous membrane damage might have occurred.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility. Observe for development of clinical signs and symptoms. Treatment should include recommendations listed in the oral exposure section when appropriate.
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #