White crystalline material with powdery appearance. Mild characteristic odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
1.27 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. This material in sufficient quantity and reduced particle size is capable of creating a dust explosion. Flammable solid. Extinguishing media: For large fires, use water spray, fog, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. For small fires, use dry chemical, sand, water spray, or foam.
Can react with oxidizing materials.
Fire may produce irritating and/or toxic gases.
May cause liver and kidney damage. Long-term repeated skin exposure can result in dermatitis. Prolonged eye exposure can cause conjunctivitis.
May cause liver and kidney damage. One to three hours after ingestion, the following symptoms may appear, severe abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, convulsions, and coma. Other symptoms of acute exposure include increased heart rate, panting, asthma attack, depression, drowsiness, high blood pressure, inability to control the release of urine and feces, incoordination muscle tremors, sweating, excessive, salivation, tearing, cyanosis, acidosis, stupor, and unconsciousness. Mental deficiencies and memory loss form ingestion poisoning may persist for one year or more. Death may occur due to kidney or lung failure.
Causes severe respiratory tract irritation.
May cause skin irritation. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause irritation and/or dermatitis.
May cause eye irritation. May cause conjunctivitis.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid if cough or other symptoms appear.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.