- Methyl alcohol-d
Clear, colorless liquid. Alcohol-like - weak odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
highly flammable, toxic
R 11 23/24/25 39/23/24/25
S 7 16 36/37 45
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
963 (20 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Solubility in water
0.55 cP 20 C
1.3270 (20 C)
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area. Keep containers tightly closed. Do not store in aluminum or lead containers.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Scoop up with a nonsparking tool, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Use water spray to disperse the gas/vapor. Remove all sources of ignition. Absorb spill using an absorbent, non-combustible material such as earth, sand, or vermiculite. Provide ventilation. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Nitric acid, acids, methanoic acid, oxalic acid), azo, diazo, and hydrazines (e.g. dimethyl hydrazine, hydrazine, methyl hydrazine), isocyanates (e.g. methyl isocyanate), nitrides (e.g. potassium nitride, sodium nitride), peroxides and hydroperoxides (organic, e.g. acetyl peroxide, benzoyl peroxide, butyl peroxide, methyl ethyl ketone peroxide), epoxides (e.g. butyl glycidyl ether), water reactive substances (e.g. acetic anyhdride, alkyl aluminum chloride, calcium carbide, ethyl dichlorosilane), carbontetrachloride, cyanuric chloride, diethyl zinc, potassium-tert-butoxide, Oxidants (such as barium perchlorate, bromine, chlorine, hydrogen peroxide, lead perchlorate, perchloric acid, sodium hypoc
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, formaldehyde.
Use of water spray when fighting fire may be inefficient. Small Fires: Dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. Large Fires: Water spray, fog or alcohol-resistant foam.
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion and poison hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. Chronic inhalation and ingestion may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation and ingestion. Chronic exposure may cause reproductive disorders and teratogenic effects. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects. Prolonged exposure may cause liver, kidney, and heart damage.
May be fatal or cause blindness if swallowed. Symptoms may include: headache, excitement, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, stupor, and coma. May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause systemic toxicity with acidosis. May cause central nervous system depression, characterized by excitement, followed by headache, dizziness, drowsiness, and nausea. Advanced stages may cause collapse, unconsciousness, coma and possible death due to respiratory failure. May cause cardiopulmonary system effects.
Harmful if inhaled. May cause respiratory tract irritation. May cause adverse central nervous system effects including headache, convulsions, and possible death. May cause visual impairment and possible permanent blindness. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion. Causes irritation of the mucous membrane.
Causes moderate skin irritation. May be absorbed through the skin in harmful amounts. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause defatting of the skin and dermatitis.
Produces irritation, characterized by a burning sensation, redness, tearing, inflammation, and possible corneal injury. May cause painful sensitization to light.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Induce vomiting by giving one teaspoon of Syrup of Ipecac.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
2845 90 10