- 2-Methoxyethylmercury acetate
- Methoxyethylmercury acetate
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Organometallic; Mutagen
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear rubber gloves, respirators, filter and goggles.
Use NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator appropriate for exposure of concern.
This is an alkyl mercury pesticide. Do not touch spilled material; stop leak if you can do so without risk. Use water spray to reduce vapors. Small spills: absorb with sand or other noncombustible absorbent material and place into containers for later disposal. Small dry spills: with clean shovel place material into clean, dry container and cover; move containers from spill area. Large spills: dike far ahead of spill for later disposal.
Stable at pH 9.5 To 11.5.
Incompatible with acids and bases Incompatible with oxidizing agents.
This is an alkyl mercury pesticide. Keep unnecessary people away; isolate hazard area and deny entry. Stay upwind; keep out of low areas. Ventilate closed spaces before entering them. Wear positive pressure breathing apparatus and special protective clothing. Remove and isolate contaminated clothing at the site. If water pollution occurs, notify appropriate authorites.Small fires: dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray, or foam. Large fires: water spray, fog, or foam. Move container from fire area if you can do so without risk. Fight fire from maximum distance. Dike fire control water for later disposal; do not scatter the material. Fire may produce irritating or poisonous gases. Runoff from fire control water may give off poisonous gases. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution.
When heated to decomposition, it emits toxic fumes of mercury. This material Container may explode in heat of fire.
IDHL: 2 mg/m3 (as Hg)
Sudden and profound circulatory collapse with rapid heart rate, weak and shallow pulse, abnormally low blood pressure and peripheral vasoconstriction can occur from ingestion of inorganic mercurials. Peripheral neuropathy and brain damage can occur even from acute exposures. Effects may be delayed by several weeks. Organic mercurials are human teratogens and can induce severe neurological defects.
Vomiting, nausea, bloody diarrhea, and edema of the upper gi tract have occurred from ingestion of inorganic mercurials.
Severe and potentially lethal pulmonary edema has been reported from inhalation of large amounts of elemental mercury. Mercuric salts could potentially act in a similar manner.
Some mercury salts are primary irritants or corrosives.
Some mercuric compounds are corrosive to the eyes and throat.
Administer charcoal as a slurry (240 ml water/30 g charcoal). Usual dose: 25 to 100 g in adults/adolescents.
If symptoms develop, move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. If breathing is difficult, administer oxygen. Keep person warm and quiet; seek immediate medical attention.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area extremely thoroughly with soap and water. A physician may need to examine the area if irritation or pain persists after washing. Take precautions to avoid exposure of health care professionals and other individuals. Systemic effects some chemicals can produce systemic poisoning by absorption through intact skin. Carefully observe patients with dermal exposure for the development of any systemic signs or symptoms and administer symptomatic treatment as necessary. Administration of chelators may be required. Provide supportive care.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility. Observe for development of clinical signs and symptoms and follow treatment recommendations in dermal exposure where appropriate.
USCG CHRIS Code