- Methyl 2-methyllactate
- Methyl 2-hydroxyisobutyrate
- 2-Hydroxyisobutyric acid methyl ester
- Lactic acid, 2-methyl-, methyl ester
- Propanoic acid, 2-hydroxy-2-methyl-, methyl ester
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Boiling point, °C
134 - 135
1.029 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.4129 (18.4 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a tightly closed container. Flammables-area.
Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Avoid breathing dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Avoid contact with skin and eyes.
Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Oxidizing agents, acids, bases.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Will burn if involved in a fire. Forms explosive mixtures with air. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or chemical foam.
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May be harmful if swallowed.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. May be harmful if inhaled.
May cause skin irritation. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
May cause eye irritation.
Get medical aid. Wash mouth out with water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
I; II; III