- Carbonochloric acid, methyl ester
- Methyl chlorocarbonate
A colorless liquid with a pungent odor.
Organic synthesis, insecticides.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Highly flammable; Toxic; Irritant
R 11 23 36/37/38
S 9 16 33 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
126 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.236 g/cm3 (15 C)
Solubility in water
1.3867 (16.9 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area. Do not store in metal containers. Store protected from moisture.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Discard contaminated shoes. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Rubber gloves do not appear to afford complete protection. Clothing: Wear a chemical apron. Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure. Rubber gloves do not appear to afford complete protection.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. Do not expose spill to water. Do not get water inside containers. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Metals, dimethyl formamide, dimethyl sulfoxide, organic matter, rubber, strong oxidizing agents.
Hydrogen chloride, phosgene, carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Substance may react with water, and may release corrosive and/or toxic gases. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. For large fires, use water spray, fog, or alcohol-resistant foam. Do NOT use water directly on fire. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective.
Very dangerous when exposed to heat sources, sparks, flame, or oxidizers.
This chemical is very dangerous when exposed to heat sources, sparks, flame, or oxidizers. It will react with water or steam to produce toxic and corrosive fumes. Vapors may travel to a source of ignition and flash back. Withdraw immediately in case of rising sound from venting safety device or any discoloration of tank due to fire. Toxic fumes of phosgene are produced when the material is heated to decomposition. Heat or steam should be avoided.
Irritating and toxic hydrogen chloride and phosgene may be formed.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns.
May be fatal if inhaled. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
Causes skin burns.
Causes eye burns.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
USCG CHRIS Code
2915 90 20
Std. Transport #