- Methyl mustard oil
A colorless liquid with a sharp odor. Does not have odor warning characteristics at low concentrations.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Toxic; Corrosive; Sensitising; Dangerous for the Environment
R 23/25 34 43 50/53
S 36/37 38 45 60 61
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Reproductive Effector; Human Data; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
31 - 37
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
31 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.069 g/cm3 (37 C)
Solubility in water
1.5258 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Keep container closed when not in use. Keep away from water. Corrosives area. Do not store in metal containers.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Use with adequate ventilation. Discard contaminated shoes.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear polyethylene gloves, apron, and/or clothing. Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear polyethylene gloves, apron, and/or clothing. Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Water, strong oxidizing agents, acids, strong bases, alcohols, amines.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, oxides of sulfur, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Will react with water to form toxic and corrosive fumes. Vapors may be heavier than air. They can spread along the ground and collect in low or confined areas. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Extinguishing media: For large fires, use water spray, fog, or alcohol-resistant foam. Do NOT get water inside containers. Do NOT use straight streams of water. For small fires, use carbon dioxide, dry chemical, dry sand, or alcohol-resistant foam. Most foams will react with the material and release corrosive/toxic gases. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion and poison hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Repeated exposure may cause sensitization dermatitis. Effects may be delayed.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause perforation of the digestive tract. Human fatalities have been reported from acute poisoning. May cause systemic effects.
Harmful if inhaled. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. May cause systemic effects.
May be fatal if absorbed through the skin. Causes skin burns. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. Vesicant. May cause skin rash (in milder cases), and cold and clammy skin with cyanosis or pale color.
Causes eye burns. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
USCG CHRIS Code
2930 90 70
Std. Transport #