Methyl sulfide, compound with borane (1:1)
- Borane, compound with dimethylsulfide
- rihydrido(dimethyl sulfide)boron
Clear, colorless liquid. With a stench.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 11 14/15 20/21/22 36/37/38
S 16 26 36/37/39 43
Melting point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
4 (0 C)
1.46 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a tightly closed container. Keep under a nitrogen blanket. Refrigerator/flammables.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Do not allow water to get into the container because of violent reaction. Avoid breathing dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Acids; acid chlorides; acid anhydrides; oxidizing agents; alcohols; and water.
Hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, carbon dioxide, oxides of boron, borane.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Reacts violently with water giving off flammable gas which may explode. Will burn if involved in a fire. Extinguishing media: Use dry chemical.
Produce flammable gases on contact with water.
May ignite on contact with water or moist air. Some react vigorously or explosively on contact with water. May be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished. May be transported in highly flammable liquids.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause liver damage. May cause headache.
Causes respiratory tract irritation.
Causes skin irritation.
Causes eye irritation. Lachrymator.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.