Methyl vinyl sulfone
- Vinyl methyl sulfone
- Ethene, (methylsulfonyl)-
Clear pale yellow liquid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
very toxic, irritant
R 22 27 41
S 26 28 36/37/39 45
Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Boiling point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
1.2117 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.464 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a dry area. Refrigerator (approx 4 C).
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Discard contaminated shoes.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Provide ventilation.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Containers may explode when heated. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or chemical foam. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
This chemical is probably combustible.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May be harmful if swallowed.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
Causes mild skin irritation. May be fatal if absorbed through the skin.
May cause eye irritation and possible damage.
Do NOT induce vomiting. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. If conscious drink water, then induce vomiting. If unconscious, immediately take victim to a physician and do NOT attempt to induce vomiting. Wash mouth out with water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
I; II; III
2930 90 70