Registry Numbers and Inventories.
S 22 24/25
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
116 (0.5 torr)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Water free area. Keep away from acids.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Do not allow water to get into the container because of violent reaction. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Use with adequate ventilation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Provide ventilation. Do not get water on spilled substances or inside containers. Cover with dry earth, dry sand, or other non-combustible material followed with plastic sheet to minimize spreading and contact with water. DO NOT CLEAN-UP OR DISPOSE OF, EXCEPT UNDER SUPERVISION OF A SPECIALIST.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Reacts with water to form toxic fumes.
Acids, water, strong oxidizing agents.
Nitrogen oxides, toxic fumes of sodium oxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Water Reactive. Material will react with water and may release a flammable and/or toxic gas. Contact with moisture or water may generate sufficient heat to ignite nearby combustible materials. Contact with acid or acid fumes evolves heat and flammable vapors. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished. May be ignited by heat, sparks, and flame. Extinguishing media: DO NOT USE WATER OR FOAM. For small fires use dry chemical, soda ash, lime or sand. For large fires use dry sand, dry chemical, soda ash or lime or withdraw from area and let fire burn. Contact with water or steam may produce toxic and flammable vapors.
During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gasesmay be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion.
May cause digestive tract disturbances.
May cause irritation of the mucous membranes.
May cause skin irritation.
May cause eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.