- Arsonous dichloride, methyl-
- Methylarsine dichloride
A colorless liquid with an agreeable odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
130 - 132
1.71 - 1.84 g/cm3
1.5624 (14.5 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Keep sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition away. Keep material out of water sources and sewers. Attempt to stop leak if without undue personnel hazard. Use water spray to knock-down vapors.
Reacts rapidly and dangerously with oxygen and with other oxidizing agents, even weak ones Incompatible with acids, alcohols, amines, and aldehydes.
Extinguish fire using agent suitable for type of surrounding fire. (Material itself does not burn or burns with difficulty.) Use water in flooding quantities as fog. Cool all affected containers with flooding quantities of water. Apply water from as far a distance as possible. Use alcohol foam, dry chemical or carbon dioxide.
May burn but does not ignite readily.
Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may pollute waterways. Substance may be transported in a molten form.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
OSHA PEL: 1910.1018 TWA 0.010 mg/m3 NIOSH REL: Ca C 0.002 mg/m3 15-minute See Appendix A NIOSH IDLH: Potential occupational carcinogen 5 mg/m3 (as As)
The toxological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
Highly toxic, may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through skin. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed.
Contact with molten substance may cause severe burns to skin and eyes. Avoid any skin contact.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Do not use mouth-to-mouth method if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. For minor skin contact, avoid spreading material on unaffected skin.
Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.
I; II; III
Std. Transport #