- Methyl dichlorosilane
A colorless fuming liquid with a pungent odor.
Monomer for silicone fluids.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
468 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
0.93 g/cm3 (0 C)
Solubility in water
1.4 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Keep under a nitrogen blanket. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area. Do not store in metal containers.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Take precautionary measures against static discharges. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not allow contact with water. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Discard contaminated shoes. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear a chemical apron. Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use. Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors. Do not get water on spilled substances or inside containers.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Copper, lead oxide, potassium permanganate, oxidizing agents (strong, e.g. bromine, hydrogen peroxide, nitrogen dioxide, potassium nitrate), silver.
Hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, silicon oxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Water Reactive. Material will react with water and may release a flammable and/or toxic gas. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Extremely flammable liquid. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flame. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Extinguishing media: DO NOT USE WATER! Do NOT get water inside containers. Do NOT use straight streams of water. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. For small fires use dry chemical, soda ash, lime or sand. For large fires use dry sand, dry chemical, soda ash or lime or withdraw.
Dangerous when exposed to heat or flame flammable liquid. Vapor forms flammable mixtures with air. Pure dichloro(methyl)silane is not ignited by impact, but it is in presence of potassium permanganate or trilead tetraoxide, or by copper or silver oxides, even under an inert gas. Trichlorosilane is highly flammable.
Difficult to extinguish; reignition may occur. Contact with water applied to adjacent fires will generate irritating hydrogen chloride.
Toxic hydrogen chloride and phosgene gases may be formed.
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns.
Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Inhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm, inflammation, edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
Causes skin burns.
Causes eye burns. May result in corneal injury. May cause conjunctivitis.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #