- 1,2-Propylene sulfide
- Propene sulfide
- Propylene sulfide
- Propylene episulfide
Clear, colorless liquid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
highly flammable, harmful
R 11 20/22
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
110 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
0.964 g/cm3 (0 C)
Solubility in water
1.473 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a cool, dry place. Refrigerator/flammables. Keep containers tightly closed.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Store protected from light. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Do not breathe vapors.
Eyes: Wear safety glasses and chemical goggles if splashing is possible. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves and clothing to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use. Wear a NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved full-facepiece airline respirator in the positive pressure mode with emergency escape provisions.
Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Wash area with soap and water. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Cover with an activated carbon adsorbent and place into a closed container for disposal. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. May decompose when exposed to light.
Strong oxidizing agents, strong bases, direct light.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Will burn if involved in a fire. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Water may be ineffective. Material is lighter than water and a fire may be spread by the use of water. Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flame. Containers may explode if exposed to fire. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. Do NOT use straight streams of water. In case of fire, use carbon dioxide, dry chemical powder or appropriate foam.
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion and poison hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Ingestion of large amounts may cause CNS depression. Ingestion may cause headache, nausea, and vomiting.
Harmful if inhaled. May cause respiratory tract irritation. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. May cause burning sensation in the chest.
May cause irritation and dermatitis. May cause cyanosis of the extremities.
May cause eye irritation. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
I; II; III
2934 99 90