- Molybdenum dioxide
- Molybdenum oxide
Brown-violet tetragonal crystals.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
20/21/22 36/37/3826 36
Melting point, °C
770 - 795
Boiling point, °C
1207 - 1307
Sublimation point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.01 (800 C)
6.47 g/cm3 (25 C)
Solubility in water
16 - 18
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep tightly closed. Store in a cool dry place. Store under nitrogen.
Wear appropriate government approved respirator, chemical-resistant gloves, safety goggles, other protective clothing.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Do not touch damaged containers or spilled material unless wearing appropriate protective clothing. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. Cover with plastic sheet to prevent spreading. Absorb or cover with dry earth, sand or other non-combustible material and transfer to containers. DO NOT GET WATER INSIDE CONTAINERS.
Strong oxidizing agents, Strong acids.
Nature of decomposition products not known.
Extinguish using Noncombustible. Use extinguishing media appropriate to surrounding fire conditions. Wear self-contained breathing apparatus and protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes.
Emits toxic fumes under fire conditions.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Harmful. Harmful by inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed. Irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin. Target organ(s): Liver. Kidneys.
Highly toxic, may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through skin. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed.
Avoid any skin contact. See Inhalation.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Do not use mouth-to-mouth method if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. Remove material from skin immediately. Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. For minor skin contact, avoid spreading material on unaffected skin.
Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.