Dark-gray or black powder with metallic luster or coherent mass of silver
Resistance elements for electric furnaces, electric & electronic components, wear resistant coatings for machine & engine parts, electrodes for glass industry, machine tool accessories (eg, boring bars, grinding quills).
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
10.28 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
3.6E-6/K (20 C)
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear safety glasses and chemical goggles if splashing is possible. Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Scoop up with a nonsparking tool, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, chlorine trifluoride, fluorine, lead dioxide, nitric acid, sulfuric acid.
Irritating and toxic fumes and gases.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Dust can be an explosion hazard when exposed to heat or flame. Flammable solid. May burn rapidly with flare burning effect. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Extinguishing media: Do NOT use water directly on fire. For large fires, use water spray, fog or regular foam. Contact professional fire-fighters immediately. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, sand, earth, water spray or regular foam. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Moderately flammable. Combustion with moderate heating.
Oxides from metallic fires are a severe health hazard. Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
NIOSH REL*: See Appendix D OSHA PEL*: TWA 15 mg/m3 [*Note: REL and PEL also apply to other insoluble molybdenum compounds (as Mo).] IDLH 5000 mg/m3 (as Mo)
Anorexia and listlessness have been reported in animals.
May cause anemia, leukopenia, and thrombocytopenia. May cause headache, fever, nausea, abdominal pain, muscle pain and bloody urine.
Olfactory fatigue may occur. When inhaled as a dust or fume, may cause benign pneumoconiosis. Can produce delayed pulmonary edema.
May cause skin irritation and possible burns.
May cause lacrimation (tearing), blurred vision, and photophobia. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Do not use mouth-to-mouth respiration if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.