- Moschus ketone
Yellow. Powerful soft, sweet animal musk.
Flavor ingredient dl-form.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Natural Product; Primary Irritant
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
80 (0.01 torr)
0.9268 g/cm3 (15 C)
Solubility in water
1.4844 (15 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Make no contact with the spilled material. ELIMINATE all ignition sources and ground all equipment. With clean shovel place material into clean, dry container and cover loosely; move containers from spill area.
Small Fires: Dry chemical, carbon dioxide, sand, earth, water spray or regular foam. Large Fires: Water spray, fog or regular foam.
Flammable/combustible material. May be ignited by friction, heat, sparks or flames.
Fire may produce irritating and/or toxic gases.
Limited studies have generally documented little or no effect of ketones on reproduction in experimental animals. Human data is lacking. 2,5-Hexanedione has an effect on spermatogenesis in male experimental animals.
Nausea and vomiting may occur.
Ingestion of significant amounts may cause respiratory depression. Pulmonary aspiration may result in chemical pneumonitis.
Skin exposure to the liquid or vapor may result in dermatitis and paresthesias of affected areas. Contact urticaria has also been reported.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. In case of contact with substance, immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. Wash skin with soap and water.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.