Colorless to yellowish liquid with a phenolic or sweet tarry odor.
For making synthetic resins, in disinfectants and fumigants, as industrial solvent, in photographic developers, in explosives.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
R 24/25 34
S 36/37/39 45
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Vapor density (air=1)
Approx. 50 ppm (0.005%) at 20 C; 200 ppm (0.02%) at 25 C (calculated)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 0.037 mg/L in water
1.0336 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
25.00 cp (29 C)
37.56 g/s2 (20 C)
1.53651 (13.6 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Do not store in direct sunlight. Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Corrosives area. Do not store in metal containers.
B3 D1A E
Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Store protected from light. Discard contaminated shoes. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear neoprene gloves, apron, and/or clothing. Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Combustible solid. Combustible Liquid. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Do NOT get water inside containers. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. For large fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, alcohol-resistant foam, or water spray. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Slightly flammable. Combustion requires preheating. Moderate hazard.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Emits highly toxic fumes.
OSHA PEL: TWA 5 ppm (22 mg/m3) skin NIOSH REL: TWA 2.3 ppm (10 mg/m3) NIOSH IDLH: 250 ppm
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause fetal effects. Repeated exposure may cause central nervous system damage. Effects may be delayed.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause perforation of the digestive tract. May cause systemic effects.
Harmful if inhaled. Causes severe irritation of upper respiratory tract with coughing, burns, breathing difficulty, and possible coma. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Inhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm, inflammation, edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. May cause systemic effects. Inhalation at high concentrations may cause CNS depression and asphixiation.
Causes skin burns. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause irritation and/or dermatitis. May cause cyanosis of the extremities. May cause skin rash (in milder cases), and cold and clammy skin with cyanosis or pale color.
Causes eye burns. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).