- 3-Tolyl isocyanate
- 3-Methylphenyl isocyanate
- Isocyanic acid, m-tolyl ester
Clear yellow liquid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 23/25 36/37/38 42
S 23 26 36/37/39 45
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
195 - 198
Boiling point, °C
90 (30 torr)
Vapor density (air=1)
Solubility in water
1.53 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Refrigerator (approx 4 C). Store protected from moisture.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Do not get on skin and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not allow contact with water. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Keep from contact with moist air and steam. Do not breathe vapors.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Absorb spill using an absorbent, non-combustible material such as earth, sand, or vermiculite. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Moisture, heat, alcohols, strong bases, amines, acids, strong oxidizing agents, water.
Hydrogen cyanide, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Combustible Liquid. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Do NOT get water inside containers. Use dry powder or carbon dioxide.
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
Vapors form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Substance will react with water (some violently) releasing flammable, toxic or corrosive gases and runoff.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Repeated exposure may cause allergic respiratory reaction (asthma). Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause lung irritation, chest pain, and pulmonary edema.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. May cause burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea, and vomiting. Inhalation at high concentrations may cause CNS depression and asphixiation. Harmful if inhaled. May cause respiratory sensitization.
Harmful if absorbed through the skin. May cause irritation and dermatitis. May cause cyanosis of the extremities. May cause sensitization by skin contact.
May cause eye irritation. Lachrymator. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. May cause irritation of the digestive tract and possible burns.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. Do not use mouth-to-mouth respiration if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.