Colorless liquid. Sweetish - putrid - fusel oil odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
flammable, harmful, irritant
R 10 22 37/38 41 67
S 7/9 13 26 37/39 46
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
116 - 118
Vapor pressure, mmHg
50 (20 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Solubility in water
77 g/L (20 C)
2.94 cP at 20 C
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area. Store protected from explosives, organic peroxides, poisons, and radioactive materials.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Remove all sources of ignition. Absorb spill using an absorbent, non-combustible material such as earth, sand, or vermiculite. Provide ventilation. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors. Water spray may reduce vapor but may not prevent ignition in closed spaces.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Oxidizing agents, reducing agents, acid chlorides, alkali metals, aluminum, copper, copper alloys, halogens, organic peroxides, acid anhydrides, chromium trioxide, mineral acids.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode when heated. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. For large fires, use water spray, fog, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. Do NOT use straight streams of water. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause defatting and dermatitis. May cause reproductive and fetal effects. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects. Prolonged exposure may cause liver, kidney, and heart damage. May cause damage to the auditory nerve (some hearing loss) and vestibular injury.
Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause systemic toxicity with acidosis. May cause central nervous system depression, characterized by excitement, followed by headache, dizziness, drowsiness, and nausea. Advanced stages may cause collapse, unconsciousness, coma and possible death due to respiratory failure. May be harmful if swallowed. Aspiration may be fatal. May be absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause cardiovascular disturbances, hearing abnormalities, central nervous system depression, muscle weakness, and possible death due to respiratory failure. May be absorbed through the lungs.
Causes severe skin irritation. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin. Repeated or prolonged exposure may cause drying and cracking of the skin.
Causes severe eye irritation. May cause corneal edema and inflammation. May cause lacrimation (tearing), blurred vision, and photophobia. Vapors appear to cause a special vacuolar keratopathy in humans.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Possible aspiration hazard. Get medical aid immediately. Wash mouth out with water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
2845 90 10