- 2(3H)-Benzothiazolethione, 3-(chloromethyl)-
White to off-white solid. Weakly irritating odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
127 - 128
Boiling point, °C
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a tightly closed container. Store protected from moisture.
Wash hands before eating. Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid breathing dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Keep container tightly closed. Do not allow contact with water. Wash clothing before reuse. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear a chemical apron. Wear appropriate clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Strong acids, strong bases, strong oxidizing agents, strong reducing agents.
Hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, oxides of sulfur, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Extinguishing media: Use foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire. Do NOT get water inside containers.
Repeated or prolonged exposure may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
Causes skin irritation. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. The toxicological properties of this material have not been fully investigated.
Causes eye irritation.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Wash mouth out with water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.