Yellow oily liquid with a faint characteristic odor.
Industrial solvent, antioxidant, solvent in fiber & plastics industry, in lubricants, condensers to incr dielectric constant, has been used as nematocide, softener for copolymers. Former uses.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Carcinogenic Category 2; Very toxic; Toxic; Dangerous for the Environment
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Human Data
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
4.6 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.0242 g/cm3 (0 C)
Solubility in water
38.97 g/s2 (20 C)
1.4337 (18.4 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Store protected from light.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Store protected from light. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Discard contaminated shoes. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Wash area with soap and water. Cover with sand, dry lime or soda ash and place in a closed container for disposal. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. May decompose on exposure to ultraviolet light.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Water runoff can cause environmental damage. Dike and collect water used to fight fire. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Combustible Liquid. To extinguish fire, use water, dry chemical, chemical foam, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers.
This chemical is combustible.
When heated to decomposition, it emits toxic fumes of nitrogen oxides. Avoid exposure to ultraviolet light.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
NIOSH REL: Ca See Appendix A OSHA PEL: [1910.1016] See Appendix B
O, G-A3, I-2A, N-2, CP65
Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause changes in the esophagus, ulceration, and bleeding from the small or large intestine.
May be fatal if swallowed. May cause headache, fever, nausea, abdominal pain, muscle pain and bloody urine. Causes enlarged liver and liver damage.
Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. Inhalation at high concentrations may cause CNS depression and asphixiation.
May cause irritation and dermatitis. May cause cyanosis of the extremities. Causes abdominal cramps and headache. May cause jaundice and reduced liver, kidney and lung function.
Causes eye irritation. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Induce vomiting only when instructed to do so by a physician.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Do not use mouth-to-mouth respiration if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
I; II; III
USCG CHRIS Code