Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
75 - 77
Solubility in water
miscible in all prop
Hazards and Protection.
Storage location should be close to laboratory where it is to be used, so that only small amounts need to be transported. Carcinogens should be kept in only one section of storage area, explosion-proof refrigerator or freezer as required. The area should be appropriately labeled. An inventory should be kept showing the quantity of carcinogen and date it was acquired. Facilities for dispensing should be contiguous to storage area.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Dispensers of liquid detergent should be available. In the laboratory, gloves and protective clothing should always be worn but should not be assumed to provide full protection. Carefully fitted masks or respirators may be necessary when working with particulates or gases, and disposable plastic aprons might provide additional protection. Protective clothing should be of distinctive color, as a reminder not to be worn outside the laboratory.
Use NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator appropriate for exposure of concern.
Evacuate area and ventilate. Wear protective equipment. If required, use an inert absrobent. Sweep up and place in an appropriate container for disposal. Wash contaminated surfaces.
Free acid is unstable in aqueous solution; concentration decrease of more than 10% in 24 hours has been observed light-sensitive, esp to UV light.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
I-2B, N-2, CP65
Mild central nervous system depression or excitation may occur after ingestion or vapor inhalation. CNS effects can occur secondary to hydrocarbon pneumonitis and hypoxia, or from additives and contaminants (aniline, heavy metals, camphor, or pesticides). Some hydrocarbons are simple asphyxiants (e.G., Methane, ethane, propane gasses) which can produce CNS effects secondary to hypoxia. In a prospective study in Toronto, major congenital malformations were noted in 13 of 125 fetuses of mothers exposed to organic solvents during pregnancy.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain may occur following ingestion.
Coughing, choking, tachypnea, dyspnea, cyanosis, rales, hemoptysis, pulmonary edema, pneumatoceles, lipoid pneumonia, or respiratory arrest may develop following ingestion and aspiration.
Pure petroleum distillates - gastric decontamination is not indicated in the majority of accidental ingestions, since systemic toxicity is unlikely from a pure petroleum distillate. Other hydrocarbons - gastric decontamination may be indicated if a large amount of a toxic hydrocarbon has been ingested (e.G., Suicide attempt) and if spontaneous vomiting has not occurred. Decontamination may also be indicated for ingestions of highly toxic hydrocarbons (e.G., Halogenated hydrocarbons, carbon tetrachloride) and for hydrocarbons which contain very toxic additives (e.G., Heavy metals, pesticides). The decision to decontaminate should be based on the toxicity of the agent, the volume ingested, time of ingestion and patient's clinical status. The potential for rapid cns depression, with seizures and/or respiratory depression, must be considered.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists. Some chemicals can produce systemic poisoning by absorption through intact skin. Carefully observe patients with dermal exposure for the development of any systemic signs or symptoms and administer symptomatic treatment as necessary.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.