Almost colorless liquid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Toxic; Danger of cumulative effects; Dangerous for the Environment
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Boiling point, °C
206 - 208
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.23 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
0.973 g/cm3 (15 C)
Solubility in water
1.17 cp (55 C)
1.5585 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Acid anhydrides, acid chlorides, acids, carbon dioxide, strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Water may be ineffective. Material is lighter than water and a fire may be spread by the use of water. Combustible Liquid. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
May cause methemoglobinemia, which is characterized by chocolate-brown colored blood, headache, weakness, dizziness, breath shortness, cyanosis, rapid heart rate, unconsciousness and possible death. Chronic exposure may cause liver damage.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause liver damage. May cause methemoglobinemia, cyanosis, convulsions, and death. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. Methemoglobinemia is characterized by dizziness, drowsiness, headache, breath shortness, cyanosis with bluish skin, rapid heart rate and chocolate-brown colored blood.
The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. Methemoglobinemia is characterized by dizziness, drowsiness, headache, breath shortness, cyanosis with bluish skin, rapid heart rate and chocolate-brown blood. May cause liver damage. Inhalation at high concentrations may cause CNS depression and asphixiation.
May cause skin irritation. May cause irritation and dermatitis. May cause cyanosis of the extremities.
May cause eye irritation. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.