Colorless to reddish-violet solid.
Used in microscopy and in tests for acetone, uric acid, thallic salts, oxydases, lignin, ozone, hydrogen peroxide, hydrogen sulfide, and bromine dihydrochloride salt.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
S 28 45
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Mutagen; Human Data
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.031 (20 C)
1.036 g/cm3 (25 C)
Solubility in water
1.5715 (57 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Store protected from light.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Do not ingest or inhale. Store protected from light. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. May discolor on exposure to light. Light sensitive.
Strong oxidizing agents, strong acids, acid chlorides, acid anhydrides.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Extinguishing media: Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire. Use carbon dioxide, water spray, or dry chemical.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
When heated to decomposition, it emits toxic fumes of nitrogen oxides.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Absorption into the body leads to the formation of methemoglobin which in sufficient concentrations causes cyanosis. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects. Prolonged skin exposure may cause allergic dermatitis and possible hemorrhage.
May be fatal if swallowed. May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Effects may be delayed 2 to 4 hours. Methemoglobinemia is characterized by dizziness, drowsiness, headache, breath shortness, cyanosis with bluish skin, rapid heart rate and chocolate-brown colored blood. May cause tremors and convulsions. Ingestion of nitrate containing compounds can lead to methemoglobinemia.
Dust is irritating to the respiratory tract. Harmful if inhaled. Inhalation of high concentrations of vapors has produced toxicity and death in experimental animals.
Harmful if absorbed through the skin. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. Causes skin irritation and possible burns. Substance is readily absorbed through the slkin. Lifethreatening toxicity may result from adult skin exposure to very minute quantities (1 teaspoon), based on animal studies.
Causes eye irritation and possible burns.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.
I; II; III
USCG CHRIS Code
2921 51 90