Yellow to brownish, oily liquid, amine-like odor,.
Manufacture of Michler's ketone, as reagent for methanol, methyl furfural, hydrogen peroxide, nitrate, alcohol, formaldehyde.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Carcinogenic Category 3; Toxic; Dangerous for the Environment
R 23/24/25 40 51/53
S 28 36/37 45 61
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Human Data; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
2.4 (40 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
684 ppm (.07%) at 25 C (calculated)
0.9559 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.405 cp (20 C)
36.46 g/s2 (20 C)
1.5582 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a tightly closed container. Flammables-area. Do not store in metal containers.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Scoop up with a nonsparking tool, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Remove all sources of ignition. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Metals, water, strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, hydrogen gas.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Water runoff can cause environmental damage. Dike and collect water used to fight fire. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Reacts with most metals to form highly flammable hydrogen gas which can form explosive mixtures with air. Water may be ineffective. Material is lighter than water and a fire may be spread by the use of water. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Extinguishing media: Water may be ineffective. Do NOT get water inside containers. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. For large fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, alcohol-resistant foam, or water spray.
May burn but does not ignite readily.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards. May polymerize explosively when heated or involved in a fire. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may pollute waterways. Substance may be transported in a molten form.
Toxic gases and vapors (such as carbon monoxide and oxides of nitrogen) may be released in a fire involving dimethylaniline.
OSHA PEL: TWA 5 ppm (25 mg/m3) skin NIOSH REL: TWA 5 ppm (25 mg/m3) ST 10 ppm (50 mg/m3) skin NIOSH IDLH: 100 ppm
Chronic ingestion may cause liver damage. May cause methemoglobinemia, which is characterized by chocolate-brown colored blood, headache, weakness, dizziness, breath shortness, cyanosis, rapid heart rate, unconsciousness and possible death.
Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause systemic toxicity with acidosis. May cause methemoglobinemia, cyanosis, convulsions, and death. Exposure may cause anemia and other blood abnormalities. May be harmful if swallowed. May cause central nervous system depression.
May cause irritation of the respiratory tract with burning pain in the nose and throat, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and pulmonary edema. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion. Methemoglobinemia is characterized by dizziness, drowsiness, headache, breath shortness, cyanosis with bluish skin, rapid heart rate and chocolate-brown blood. Inhalation of aniline causes anoxia due to the formation of methemoglobinemia.
Causes skin irritation. May be absorbed through the skin in harmful amounts.
May cause severe eye irritation. May result in corneal injury.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.